EDTC 510 Foundations of Distance Education and Training
This course focuses on the principles of distance education as a medium for course, degree, or training-based instruction. The history, technologies, and best practices associated with distance learning will be presented and analyzed. Current and future critical issues that impact the teaching/learning environment in distance delivery modalities also will be examined.
Topics and Objectives
History and Technologies of Distance Education
- Analyze distance education and its evolution from the 1850s through the present.
- Identify how distance education is being used today.
- Examine various synchronous and asynchronous systems used to deliver distance education.
- Describe current technologies in the workplace.
Research and Distance Education Learners
- Summarize research on distance learner profiles.
- Explain results of distance education research.
- Analyze the barriers to distance education.
Teaching and Learning at a Distance
- Identify teaching strategies and media that promote effective student learning in a distance environment.
- Compare and contrast traditional classroom instruction to distance education instruction.
- Analyze traditional and alternative assessment techniques that are viable in evaluating distance education learning outcomes.
- Critique a distance education course for sound implementation of distance education principles.
Critical and Emerging Issues in Distance Education
- Explain the emerging trends in distance education delivery.
- Examine ethical issues that arise in distance education.
- Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of a distance education vendor.